moonlight - illuminates your stare and it's great, captivating you. Does that trouble you? I didn't mean to trouble you...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hung the Moon

It is an either very well know fact (if you know me well) or a very surprising fact (if you don't know me at all) that Better Than Ezra is my favorite band.

They were the first band that was mine. I discovered them on my own (without the help of my parents), I bought the CD on my own (their first, Deluxe), and I enjoyed them on my own. This band shaped 8th grade.

While everyone else was jamming along to "Good", I listened to the whole CD, and appreciated it like nothing else I had ever heard.

Then I followed them through the years. And the years have been good to BTE.

One of the greatest BTE related events was the first time I saw them live. They lead me to find Something Corporate, probably the second most influential band obsession in my life. SoCo opened for BTE way back when they were a tiny OC high school band.

I haven't seen them too many times (if I am remembering correctly it was once at the Galaxy, once at the Belly Up Tavern, once at HOB Anaheim, and I think that is it...). But they just rock.

Anyway, the point being music has always been a constant in my life. When I was in kindergarten I listened to KROQ. I remember loving the Ramones, and I used to call songs "sequels" if they were by the same band. "Hey Mom, is 20 20 20 4 hours to go a sequel to sheena is a punk rocker?" I also was obsessed with Oingo Boingo, Moriessey, The Smiths, The Cure, Pet Shop Boys, Bon Jovi, and Madonna. I probably had more cassette tapes than any other kid in the neighborhood.

I am so enthusiastic about music - which is probably the understatement of the century.

No comments: