moonlight - illuminates your stare and it's great, captivating you. Does that trouble you? I didn't mean to trouble you...

Saturday, November 24, 2007

I've Got Dreams To Remember

Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams to Remember: This song wrecks me. Literally sends me into emotional chaos.

(Side Note - I think it is hilarious that "emo" - short for "emotional" music - can't hold a candle to the songs of the 60's in terms of "emotion". The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Supremes...Elvis...all had true simplicity through real emotions. While I have been known to scream out to a Dashboard song or two back in 01-03 this is so cheap in comparison).

Back to emotional chaos - listening to music is such an intense roller coaster of memories. I love exploring this idea. I listen to music non-stop: to melt, to smile, to rock, to mourn, to yearn, to remember, to cry, to love the wrong person because it feels right, to ignore, to escape, to confront, to change, to stay the same, to relate, to respond, to rejoice, to magnify, to feel, to imagine.

Such conflict breeds even more escape to my personal philosophers - Musicians. Helping me to see if someone really *is* getting the best of me (Mikkele, that is Foo Fighters, it just naturally flowed in :) ), or reminding me that I want to break free (Queen), or asking me to explore if I don't let myself be happy now than when? (Jimmy Eat World)

I used to be a music snob. (Major Music Snob) However, I have come to the conclusion that anything that makes someone feel something is amazing. Even (eek, dare I say?!?!) Nickelback (cringing).

Listen to music.

No comments: